Following on the revelations of 'fraud and errors risks' in Brent Council Planning Department's processes LINK the Brent Conservative Group have submitted a motion calling for an independent review of planning application decisions made in the Price Waterhouse Cooper's report period:
The motion will be heard at the Full Council meeting at Brent Civic Centre on January 23rd LINKPLANNING SHAMBLES
“This Council notes the damning report by Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) into the workings of the Brent planning department......the report highlighted:
PWC concluded that it could only give the Brent planning service "limited assurance."
- "Significant weaknesses in the planning application review and assessment process."
- "The Council may not be able to demonstrate that it has taken steps to prevent bribery resulting in non- compliance with the Bribery Act 2010."
- "Anti - bribery awareness training has not been provided to planning staff."
- "Audit trail is susceptible to manipulation .This could result in planning applications being approved inappropriately due to fraud or error."
- "No code of conduct for officers. No requirement for officers to make formal declaration of interest."
This Council believes that only "limited assurance” is simply unacceptable, and believes that it is essential that all our residents have confidence in the integrity of the planning process.
In the light of the PWC report, this Council instructs the Chief Executive to initiate an independent review into planning applications submitted in the report period - 01/01/16 to 31/07/16 - and to report back to Full Council with the results of her findings.”