Monday 7 March 2022

Spring awakening as frogspawn arrives on Barn Hill pond

 

Frogspawn in Barn Hill Pond this afternoon

I couldn't resist getting out in the sunshine this afternoon and visited the pond at the top of Barn Hill. As I arrived I disturbed a heron that flew silently  just a couple of feet over my head. I had heard that the frogs had been spawning and sure enough the iris bed at the north end of the pond has plenty of spawn.

I put a plea out on Twitter for dog owners to keep their dogs away from that area as last year a group of dogs owners repeatedly threw their dogs stick and balls amongst the spawn, resulting in much splashing around. The owners were busy chatting and I don't think they realised what was happening.  Inevitably, as the water is shallow here, the spawn got churned up in the mud.

Later there was a late frost and more damage was done.

Frogs and toads are in decline and we must do all we can to protect them.

1 comment:

David Walton said...

Good point, maybe temporary signage use like in Richmond?

Bats live in South Kilburn Growth Area Tall building Zone, this linked to its 100 veteran tree woodland area (South Kilburn Public Open Space). If Brent can't even see this woodlands environmental asset value, what chance do South Kilburn bats have?