Thursday 4 April 2019

Windrush Compensation Scheme: Who is Eligible? How to apply

From Brent Council  Partnerships and Engagement Team

The Home Secretary has opened a scheme to compensate members of the Windrush generation who have suffered losses due to their inability to prove their right to live in the UK.
The Scheme, which was designed in consultation with those affected and with independent advice from Martin Forde QC, is the latest step in the Home Secretary’s commitment to right the wrongs experienced by the Windrush generation.

More details are in the document below 

Who is eligible?

The compensation scheme will provide payments to individuals who suffered losses as a result of not being able to evidence their lawful status in the UK. These could range from a loss of employment or access to housing, benefits, education or NHS healthcare to emotional distress or a deterioration in mental and physical health.

The Scheme is open to those who settled in the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973, and in certain circumstances their children and grandchildren. Additionally, it is open to all nationalities who arrived to live in the UK before 31 December 1988 and are settled here. Read more on all the categories of eligibility.

The Home Office will also refund fees paid for certain, unsuccessful immigration applications, and reimburse legal fees that were incurred in relation to these.

How to apply?
It is quick and easy to make an application, and help is available to those who require additional support to make a claim. Claim forms can be downloaded and guidance on completing the application can be found at
Claimants can also request a form to be sent by post by calling our helpline on 0800 678 1925 or via email where they can also  request a call back if they are overseas.

Click bottom right for full size version


No comments: