From Brent Council
We are calling out for new foster carers to join us in Brent to ensure we have enough homes for the children who need us most.
Whilst the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic is having an impact on us all, some things do not change - our local, vulnerable children still need caring families to look after them.
Anyone who lives in Brent or a neighbouring authority and meets these five basic requirements can apply to foster with us:
1. Over 21 years old (there is no upper age limit)
2. Have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
3. Have available living space: space for a cot in the bedroom to foster babies (0-2 years-old), or a spare room in the house to accommodate older children
4. Live in Brent or the neighbouring boroughs so that travelling for foster care purposes is easy for you and your foster children
5. Enjoy spending time with children, and be loving, kind, open-minded and inclusive.
Applicants will undergo an online assessment consisting of virtual meetings and visits, aimed at keeping them and their families safe and protected. Given the urgent need for foster carers, the application process, which normally lasts between 4 and 6 months, can be fast-tracked in certain circumstances.
Cllr Patel said:
We need to make sure that we have enough carers to deal with the challenges posed by Covid-19 and that throughout, our children have someone to look after them. They have experienced disruption before and we do not want them to go through this again. There are lots of caring people in Brent who have what it takes to foster and we hope to see some of them step up to help vulnerable children during this challenging time.
Anyone who is interested in fostering is encouraged to speak to our team directly by calling 0800 001 4041. There is a social worker at the other end of the line from Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm.
Alternatively, to find out more about fostering and to check the support and rewards package, please visit brent.gov.uk/fostering.