From the London Mayor
The Mayor of London has adopted four new pieces of London Plan Guidance (LPG) that will help build a better London for everyone, delivering a cleaner, greener, healthier, and more sustainable London.
This suite of Design and Characterisation LPGs includes:
· Characterisation and Growth Strategy LPG
· Small Site Design Codes LPG
· Optimising Site Capacity: A Design-led Approach LPG
· Housing Design Standards LPG
These LPG provide further guidance on the implementation of London Plan 2021 policies, including:
· Policy D1 (London’s form, character and capacity for growth)
· Policy D3 (Optimising site capacity through the design-led)
· Policy D6 (Housing quality and standards)
· Policy D9 (Tall buildings)
· Policy H2 (Small sites) among others
All of the areas are relevant for Brent but probably the most important, given Brent Council's activities in building dense and high, is 'Optimising Site Capacity' although it will also be interesting to see how Brent characterises our borough now, after recent developments in Alperton, Wembley Park and South Kilburn and those such as Neasden that are in the pipeline.
"Good growth across London requires development to optimise site capacity, rather than maximising density. This means responding to the existing character and distinctiveness of the surrounding context and balancing the capacity for growth, need for increased housing supply, and key factors such as access by walking, cycling and public transport, alongside an improved quality of life for Londoners. Capacity-testing should be the product of the design-led approach, and not the driver."
LINKS TO DOCUMENTS