Tuesday 11 August 2020

Help from Brent Council for those hit financially by Covid19

From Brent Council

Resident’s Support Fund

If you are a Brent resident and have been impacted financially or personally by Covid-19, you could be eligible for financial support. We have funding that allows us to help residents that need additional help due to Covid-19.

The Resident’s Support Fund provides additional help in the form of an interest-free loan, grant or both.

We recognise that residents have been impacted in many ways by Covid-19 and we are committed to doing all we can to support our resident’s at this difficult time.

Who can apply

You can apply for a grant or loan if you:
  • are a Brent resident
  • aged 18 or over
  • have been impacted by Coronavirus
  • and do not have more than £6,000 in savings at the time of the application
You must be willing to provide any reasonable supporting information that is needed by us to make a decision and take any reasonable steps we may suggest.

What the grant or loan can be used for:

  • Rent or mortgage arrears, even if you are already getting Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax arrears
  • Housing Benefit overpayment arrears
  • Household expenditure (food, utility bills and fuel)
  • Paying off debts e.g. credit card loans
  • Counselling and mental health services
  • Skills training and further education to support employment
  • Getting access to the internet, a laptop or both

How to apply

If you are in need of financial support, and meet the above criteria, apply online. HERE

You can also retrieve and continue with an application you have already started.  To retrieve an existing application, you will need the application reference number that was emailed to you.  HERE

When you can expect to hear

We aim to assess your application within 10 working days. You will receive confirmation from us in writing to confirm the decision we have made.

If you have requested help towards your rent, Housing Benefit overpayments or Council Tax, we may pay any funds awarded directly into the associated account.

If your grant is unsuccessful, we may be able to refer you to a credit union to help you with an interest free loan.

No comments: