The Green Party Spring Conference yesterday suspended Standing Orders to take the following motion which was passed with no votes against:
Conference recognises that Michael Gove has recently escalated his policy of forcing primary schools to become academies so that now only one poor Ofsted report is required to trigger such a move. This has currently resulted in several strong parent-led campaigns in defence of community schools.
The Green Party believes forced academisation:
Conference therefore instructs the GPEX campaigns coordinator to facilitate a campaign against this policy at national level over the next 6 months and calls on local parties to take up the issue where appropriate.
- Undermines the role of local authorities and school governing bodies in school improvement
- Undermines local democratic accountability of schools
- Ignores the wishes of major stakeholders including governors and parents
- Hands over local assets to an external provider without recompense
- Opens the school to eventually being run on a profit-making basis